Saturday, March 4, 2017

My first few days in Guatemala

Lunes.. 2/27
So Hermana DeRosier and I made it to Guatemala safely. Our mission president didn't know we weren't in the Guatemala CCM this whole time until like a day or two before we arrived. We were greeted by two Elders, who took our bags and led us to the car. While walking to the car, one of them asked how much Spanish I knew... He talked really fast and I must have had a worried face, because the next thing he said was, "Don't worry, we speak English too." They drove us to the Hermanas' house and dropped us off with them for the day and night. It was their PDay and one of them was getting transferred the next day, so we just followed them as they visited people and shopped. It was fun. We got to eat at a member's house and play "Do you love your neighbor?" That night at the Hermanas' house, we basically just heard all the bad things that may happen to us.

Martes.. 2/28
Hermana DeRosier and I were separated... She's in the coastal area and I am in the montañas. I am in Patzicia. It's gorgeous here, but we're not allowed to carry cameras unless it's PDays, the day we email or we're being transferred soon. I have definitely never lived like this. I thought living in Korea would keep me from getting culture shock, but it's different from anything I have ever known. I also thought I was escaping the cold, but I didn't.. It is so cold in my area in the morning. However, the showers are warm and I have 3 blankets. My companion is Hermana Romero, from the Honduras. She speaks super fast. She also walks as fast as she talks. She is super sweet and nice though. She's learning English and wants me to help teach her. I want her to teach me Spanish. People stare at me, because of my red hair, fair skin and blue eyes. My companion told me to not feel weird about it. She also said, "no look at my companion!" We visited various investigators and inactive members. We walk a ton. We found a 17 yr old boy named Walter (I think) and he agreed to attend church on Sunday. We have 3 investigators with baptismal dates.  At the end of the day, we went to the Bishop's house and I helped his daughter with English. That was probably the highlight of my day. The girl reminded me of my sisters and how much I miss them.

Miércoles.. 3/01
Today, we woke up at 5 am, so we could study from 6-7 and leave the house at 7:30 for district meeting. That was interesting. I know the most powerful thing I can do is bear my simple testimony. I love Guatemala. It's different, but a good different. I can't wait for more adventures. I can't wait to learn more español to be able to communicate better with my compañera and the people in general. I love this gospel. I am grateful for the opportunity to be in Guatemala.

Some advice my ZL gave me: Look for at least one miracle a day. I know that God's hand is in our lives daily. He loves us and wants the best for us.

Con amor,
         Hermana Tibbits





My First District in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment